Saturday 22 November 2008


Day 326
Prompt 326
"There is no beautifier of complexion, or form, or behavior, like the wish to scatter joy and not pain around us. ‘Tis good to give a stranger a meal, or a night’s lodging. ‘Tis better to be hospitable to his good meaning and thought, and give courage to a companion. We must be as courteous to a man as we are to a picture, which we are willing to give the advantage of a good light. ”—Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-82), philosopher, poet, essayist
This quote brought back memories of my father who died 33 years ago next week aged 60.
He treated everyone with same courtesy, respect and time of day, whether they were the down and out in the street or the mayor of the town!! I have always remembered this and even before I became a Christian I tried to be like this too......hard at times because none of us are or will be perfect but a wonderful philosophy to have in life!

3 comments:

knitkath said...

If only the whole world thought and acted like this what a nicer place it would be!

Shirley said...

Definately the way I perceive you to be Lynne. Kind, thoughtful and a very lovely person to know.

Mary B said...

I would love to have known your Dad, and I bet all who did really loved him.