Friday 5 December 2008


Day 340
Prompt 340
"Let us pause to warm both our hands before the fire of life"
-Walter Landor
I used to love warming my hands in front of an open fire. Before central heating I remember sitting in front of an electric fire and burning my shins, this was how we got chilblains too!! In my very cold bedroom I had a 'posh' fan heater when I was in my teens lol!!
All my life we had a fireplace in the homes I have lived in. We downsized 13 yrs ago ready for retirement and this house has no fireplace to warm our hands!! but we are happy with just central heating warmth and able to change the focal point in our lounge in any direction without a thought of where is the a fireplace! and how wonderful not to clean out the fire or relight it, though we did end up in the late80's putting a 'living fire' in our old house fireplace. This photo was taken by going into an electrical shop and asking to take a photo!! Stark raving mad? no I am a 365er!!

2 comments:

knitkath said...

You're definitely not mad, inventive to get that photo! I can remember the old fires, and scorching your shins, then freezing when you left the room!

Shirley said...

Well done Lynne for getting the photo. Needs must as they say!!!
I remember all those red mottle marks on my legs too :(